The course Currents in Theology during the Ottoman Occupation is an optional course included in the Curriculum of the Department of pastoral and Social Theology.The course enables students to become acquainted with the social, multicultural dynamics of the era.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course aims to formulate aclear picture of the conditions of the Church at the time, the theological ferment along with the trends and currents in Theology that developed in the Estern ORutodox Church. Furthermore, it offers an approach to issues pertaining to the ecclesiastical and social life of the Greeks under the Ottoman yoke.
1. Introduction-A general outline
2. The particularities of the relationship between Society and the Church during the Ottoman Occupation
3. Basic theological Currents
4. Western Theological trends and their impact on the East.
5. Ph ilokalia ( Love of the Beautiful) in the East.
6. Crypto- Christianity:The Hidden Christians
7. Faith Confessions
8. Lay preachers
9. The framework for the formation of the moral teaching of the Church during the Ottoman Occupation.
10. The Ten Commandments during the Ottoman Occupation.
11. The rise of Modern Greek Theology.
12. Project presentations.
13. Project presentations.
Theology, Ottoman Occupation, Confession, The Ten Commandments, Philokalia, The West, preacher, teachings, Hidden Christian( Crypto –Christianity), Modern Greek Theology.