When successfully completing the course, students will be in position to:
• Analyze the failure of materials and mechanical parts, by means of the taught methodology.
• Diagnose the main characteristics and mechanisms leading to failure.
• Determine the reasons of failure and propose redesign methods.
• Analyze fractographies.
• Select the best material and process suitable for mechanical design, by analytical and graphical methods.
• Handle material selection tools and software packages.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Failure analysis methodology, Failure mechanisms, Causes of failure and damage, Methods for studying failures, Inspection of failures due to mechanical properties, Fatigue failure, Friction failure, Corrosion failure, High temperature failure, Tool failure. Material selection criteria. Materials and Environment.
Material failure, fractography, failure analysis, material selection, material maps
Students are evaluated with a written exam, covering the spectrum of the course field. The critical thinking, as well as the level of understanding the course are examined by theoretical questions, multiple choice and exercises in a percentile proportion of approx. 30, 30, 40%, respectively.