The course aims at:
- the transfer of knowledge related to specialized areas of building physics and its performance against natural phenomena, as well as their influence on the building envelope design,
- the knowledge of the properties of thermal and moisture protection materials, as well as their potential to protect the building skin,
- the proper selection of the layers composing a building element, avoiding mistakes that could lead to the deterioration of the building element and envelope in general,
- the communication of the general regulatory context for the protection of a building,
- the acquirement of new knowledge and experience related to the formation of hygienic and thermal comfort conditions indoors.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Thermal protection of buildings: the building envelope and its energy performance. Thermal balance, thermal comfort, thermal losses and thermal gains. Thermal insulation materials. Thermal capacity, thermal bridging. Energy conservation in buildings. Regulation for the Building Energy Performance. Requirements and standards. Calculations.
Domestic plumbing services: Cold water supply system and installation (supply pipes, distribution pipes, flow controls, cisterns and sanitary fittings), drainage and sanitary systems (sewage disposal, pipe materials and size, fittings, inspection chambers, ventilation pipes, cesspools). Basic concepts and requirements of domestic electromechanical installation (electrical wiring and heating systems).
Moisture protection: sources of moisture in buildings, condensation, water proofing and dampness treatise, vapour barriers, calculations.
Sound insulation of buildings.
Floors: types, materials, constructional techniques, details. Joints between floors. Stairway and balcony finishes. Handrails and balustrades of balconies. Outdoor floor finishes.
Wall and ceiling lining: plastering systems for various backgrounds, rendering, panelling, painting and decorating.