Course Content (Syllabus)
Ι. AIM OF THE COURSE
Service sector is a very significant part of modern economies. This course in Service Management aims at the introduction of the special characteristics of services, their nature, the service strategies, the concept of the service quality and the modern trends in the service sector. Special attention is given to the creation of value for the customer via a complete and excellent customer service and customer satisfaction.
ΙΙ. COURSE ORGANIZATION
Both lectures and case studies are included as well as projects assigned to the students in order to implement a quantitative technique and method to solve a significant problem in Service Management. Also, we invite senior managers from the service sector (hotels, banks, etc.) to present their experiences from their companies and customers.
III. COURSE SYLLABUS AND ANALYTIC LECTURES PROGRAM
1. Introduction to the subject of Service Management
2. The role and nature of services
3. Service strategies
4. Value chain in service sector, Case study
5. New service development
6. Quality in services – Service encounter, Case study
8. Facility location
9. Supply and Demand management strategies
10. Waiting lines for the customer service - Lecture by a senior manager
11. Presentation of the students projects and assignments
12. Growth and globalization of service firms and Presentation of the students projects and assignments
13. Closing, Discussion about the exam paper
Services, Service Strategies, New Service Development, E-Services, Supply and Demand Management strategies
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
(1) Κίτσιος, Φ.Χ. και Ζοπουνίδης, Κ. “ΑΝΑΠΤΥΞΗ ΝΕΩΝ ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΩΝ Τουρισμός – Υγεία – Επιχειρηματικότητα - Καινοτομία’’,
Εκδόσεις Κλειδάριθμος, 2008, Αθήνα, Κωδ. Στον Εύδοξο: 13595
(2) CD με σημειώσεις του μαθήματος
Additional bibliography for study
Β. Συμπληρωματική Βιβλιογραφία
1. Fitzsimmons, J.A. and Fitzsimmons, M.J. (2011) Service Management: Operations, Strategy, Information Technology; McGraw Hill, 7th ed.
2. Heskett, J.L., Sasser, E. and Schlesinger, L.A. (1997) The Service Profit Chain. Free Press.
3. Kandampully, J. (2012), (Ed.) Service Management : The New Paradigm in Retailing,, Springer
4. Maglio, P. P., Kieliszewski, C. A. and Spohrer, J. C. (eds.): Handbook of Service Science (Service Science:
Research and Innovations in the Service Economy), Springer, 2010.