Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Understand the basic aspects of cereal processing and production of cereal-based foods.
2. Recognize the influence of processing conditions on the quality of cereal products.
3. Recognize the influence of the components of cereal seeds on the quality of cereal products.
4. Recognize the influence of flour additives on the quality of cereal products.
Course Content (Syllabus)
2. Wheat components.
4. Bread quality.
5. Technology of cakes, rusks and biscuits.
6. Durum wheat technology: semolina.
7. Durum wheat technology: pasta.
8. Technology of rye and triticale breadmaking.
9. Barley technology: Malting, mashing, lautering and wort.
10. Rice technology.
11. Corn technology: Starch, corn syrups.
12. Technology of breakfast cereals and extruded products.
13. Technology of pulses.
Additional bibliography for study
Τεχνολογία Δημητριακών, Νικήτας Ματσούκας (σημειώσεις).
Baking the Art and Science: A practical Handbook for the Baking Industry, Claus Schünemann, Günter Treu, 2007.
Cereals processing technology, Gavin Owens, 2001.