Course Information
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodWinter
Course ID600013510

Programme of Study: PPS Tmīmatos PSychologías (2017-sīmera)

Registered students: 0
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
KORMOSElective Courses535

Class Information
Academic Year2017 – 2018
Class PeriodWinter
Faculty Instructors
Weekly Hours3
Total Hours39
Class ID
Course Type 2016-2020
  • Scientific Area
  • Skills Development
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
Language of Instruction
  • Greek (Instruction, Examination)
Required Courses
General Prerequisites
There are no prerequisites for the course
Learning Outcomes
The overall aim of this course is to introduce students to the psychology of ageing. The course will acquaint students with the psychological explanations of age-associated changes in human function and the debate over the types of changes that people experience as they grow old. By the end of the course, students will have learned about the development of such important cognitive abilities as memory, learning, and intelligence; they will also have begun to appreciate the differences between normal and pathological change during later life. On completing this course students should at minimum be able to do the following: 1.Identify and describe major models of human development. 2. Evaluate the research methods commonly used to study age-associated changes in cognitive function. 3. Describe and estimate the types of changes that occur during adulthood in the human cognitive system, including memory, intelligence, and learning skills.
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Work in teams
  • Work in an international context
  • Work in an interdisciplinary team
  • Appreciate diversity and multiculturality
  • Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course introduces students to concepts and methods of geropsychology, and focuses on aspects of the ageing process that are related to cognitive functioning. Emphasis is given on major theoretical approaches to ageing (biological and psychosocial); on population ageing and its relation to cognitive ageing; on dimensions of cognitive ageing (attention, memory, problem-solving, expertise, and learning), covering topics related to their trajectories of change and measurement. Issues about the relation of cognitive ageing and socio-cultural factors, sensory and health-related changes, and dementia are also covered.
theories of ageing, cognitive ageing, longitudinal study of lifespan cognitive change
Educational Material Types
  • Slide presentations
  • Multimedia
  • Book
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Laboratory Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
As regards lectures, use of power point and e-learning. As regards practical and the presentation of students' work, use of power point, spss, word. Use of ICT to inform students about procedural issues of the course.
Course Organization
Laboratory Work130.5
Reading Assigment130.5
Student Assessment
Practical presupposes (α) carrying out a small research using (β) basic assessment instruments; (c) data processing. Practical covers 40% of the course grade; the rest (60%) is covered by exams on the content of the whole course.
Student Assessment methods
  • Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Summative)
  • Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Summative)
  • Labortatory Assignment (Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Κωσταρίδου-Ευκλείδη, Α. (Επιμ. Έκδ.) (2011). Ψυχολογία Ηλικιωμένων (Θέματα Γηροψυχολογίας και Γεροντολογίας). Αθήνα: Πεδίο. -Παγοροπούλου-Αβεντισιάν, Α. (1993). Ψυχολογία της Τρίτης Ηλικίας. Αθήνα: Αυτο-έκδοση.
Additional bibliography for study
-Hofer, S. & Alwin, D. (eds.)(2008). Handbook of Cognitive Aging: Interdisciplinary perspectives. Thousand Oaks, California, U.S.: Sage. -Fernandez-Ballesteros, R. (ed.) (2007). Geropsychology: European perspectives for an aging world. Goettingen, Germany: Hogrefe & Huber. -Johnson, M. H., & de Haan, M. (2011). Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience (3rd ed.). Chichester, West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell. -Bengtson, V., Gans, D., Putney, N., & Silverstein, M. (eds.) (2009). Handbook of theories of aging (2nd ed.). New York, U.S.A.: Springer.
Last Update