Within the framework of the course, it is expected that students will
• understand the theoretic and historical areas of the history of music
• become acquainted with the basic features of qualitative research
• learn various ways of collecting qualitative data
• become familiar with the methodological and practical issues, that may arise from the involvement of the researcher in the field he studies
• practise in analyzing and interpreting qualitative data.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course is introductory, mainly aimed at students of the 2nd or 4th semester. It provides a basic grounding in the history of music and serves as the basis of other classes in the special field of history of music offered in the curriculum. As to the content, a general overview of the music history from the early 17th to the late 19th century is attempted. The examination of this period takes place through the presentation and analysis of selected issues of music composition, texture, technique and aesthetics and style while listening to similar music clips. The main objective of this course is the acquisition and assimilation of knowledge for the chronological classification and sorting of composers, regarding the basic genres of musical composition. The aim of the course is to introduce students not only to issues of methodology, but also to the consideration of various historical events in the evolution of musical historiography. Also, the course is targeted at the students familiarizing with the ways music historiography documentation. The courses are accompanied by annotated listening to musical works.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Ulrich Michels, Άτλας της Μουσικής, 2ος τόμος, μετάφραση και μουσικολογική επιμέλεια Ι.Ε.Μ.Α. Ινστιτούτο Έρευνας Μουσικής & Ακουστικής), εκδόσεις Φίλιππος Νάκας, 1994.
2. HEADINGTON CHRISTOPHER, "Ιστορία της Μουσικής. Από την αρχαιότητα μέχρι τον Μπετόβεν", Μετάφραση:ΔΡΑΓΟΥΜΗΣ ΜΑΡΚΟΣ, έκδ. GUTENBERG, ΑΘΗΝΑ 2000, ISBN13 9789600104813.