Upon the completion of this course, students are expected to:
- aquire a comperhensive view of the institutional system and function of the EU
- understand the particularities and the multilevel nature of the EU political system
- be able to follow and interpret political and economic developments in the EU in the light of the inter-dependencies between the national political system, the EU political system and the international environment
- possess the necessary intellectual baggage in order to study particular aspects of the institutional process of the EU and/ or examine specific forms of governance with a significant European dimension
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course examines the political and institutional framework and the functioning of the European Union. It analyses the role of the main institutional organs of the Union, emphasizing the role of inter-institutional interdependence, the significance of outside interventions and the relations between the member states and the Union. Its main objective is to study the dynamics of European integration in the passage of time, in order to examine whether the current "system" is indeed a homogeneous political system, to define its form and characteristics and to assess its future evolution. This approach allows us to compare the main characteristics of the EU political system with the corresponding characteristics of national political systems in order to define and explain the ensuing differences and to better understand the unique nature of the European Union.
A. GENERAL OVERVIEW
1. Conceptualization and theorizing
2. Objectives, principles and competences of the EU
B. THE INSTITUTIONS AND POLITICAL ACTORS OF THE EU
3. The European Commission
4. The Council of Ministers
5. The European Council
6. The European Parliament
7. European Union Law and the EU's Courts
8. Other institutions
9. Law-making in the EU
10. Interest groups
11. The Member States
C. CRITICAL APPRAISAL
12. The EU in crisis? Problems, deficits and dilemmas
European Union, EU institutions, european integration, governance in the EU
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
S. Hix, To πολιτικό σύστημα της Ευρωπαϊκής Ένωσης. Αθήνα: Εκδόσεις Μεταίχμιο, 2009.
N. Nugent, Πολιτική και διακυβέρνηση στην Ευρωπαϊκή Ένωση. Αθήνα: Εκδόσεις Σαββάλας, 2012.
Additional bibliography for study
N. Μαραβέγιας (επιµ.), Ευρωπαϊκή Ένωση.: Δημιουργία, Εξέλιξη, Προοπτικές. Αθήνα: Εκδόσεις Κριτική, 2016.
A. Πλιάκος, Δίκαιο Ευρωπαϊκής Ένωσης. Tόμος 1, περί θεσμών. Aθήνα: Εκδόσεις Oικονομικού Πανεπιστήμιου Aθηνών,
I. Bache, S. Bulmer S. George and O. Parker (eds.), Politics in the European Union (Fourth Edition). New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.
H. Wallace, M. Pollack, and A.Young (eds.), Policy Making in the European Union (Seventh Edition). New York: Oxford University Press, 2014.