Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Metals, raw materials and extractive metallurgy of metals, iron production in blast furnaces, steel making, ladle metallurgy, production of stainless steel and special purpose alloys. Distinction of castings and wrought products.
2. The Fe-C phase diagram (stable – metastable). Equilibrium phases (δ-ferrite, austenite, cementite, α-ferrite). Critical temperatures (A1, A3, Acm).
3. TTT diagrams, low – carbon steels, ferritic microstructures (Dube classification).
4. Full annealing, normalizing, spheroidation of cementite, medium carbon steels, martensitic transformation, high carbhon steels.
5. Bainite, austenite, CCT diagrams
6. Hardness and hardenability of steels, tempering of martensite, quenched and tempered steels.
7. Classification of steels, high alloyed steels, cast irons.
8. Aluminum and its alloys.
9. Corrosion of metals, thermodynamics vs kinetics of corrosion. Evans diagrams, inhibitors.
10. Eight basic forms of industrial corrosion, corrosion protection of metallic structures.
11. Welding of metals, arc welding, structural transformations around the welding seam, heat-affected zone.
12. Welding consumables, overview of weld discontinuities, hot and cold cracking. Weld procedure qualification.