Students learn how to understand the motion of the human body, under the perspective of cause - effect. They can separate phases of movement and do elementary movement analysis. The can measure the dimensions of the body. The can assess the semantics of mechanical parameters of motion. Finally, they acquire necessary knowledge το be able to work in motion analysis projects
Course Content (Syllabus)
Aim and description: This is an introductory course to the science of biomechanics of human movement. The motion of the human body is examined under the perspective of the application of Laws of Physics.
It is a four hour per week course (lecture) plus one hour of laboratory work. The final exam at the end of the semester counts for 80% of the final mark, while the rest 20% is earned from the laboratory work.
Lab work consist of assignments in: a) anthropometry, b) goniometry, c) kinematic analysis, d) dynamometry of jumping and walking and e) balance assessment. It takes place in the Biomechanics Laboratory in groups of at most 18 students, scheduled in different days and times according to predefined choice of students
Α historical review
Geometry of space and motion
Mechanical principles of motion - Kinematics
Mechanical principles of motion - Dynamics
The human body in motion - Anthropometry
The human body in motion – Bones and Joins
The human body in motion – Muscular mechanics
External factors affecting movement – Gravity and friction
External factors affecting movement – motion in air and in water
Analysis and synthesis of motion - Deterministic model
Research methods: Kinematic analysis – Goniometry
Research methods: Dynamometry – Electromyography – Balance
Human body movements: Gait, running, jumping, throwing, swimming,
Lectures are given in amphitheater with multimedia implementation. Students receive CD with the lectures.
Laboratory projects take place within the lab space and simple apparatus (measures, scales skin calipers) are used to measure body dimensions, while for the rest of the projects we use computerized video analysis, electronic gyroscopes, accelerometers, goniometers , dynamometers, electromyography. All electronic apparatuses are controlled ON LINE by computers with commercial software and in house build software.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Βικινητική της Αθλητικής κίνησης, Ηρακλής Κόλλιας, εκδόσεις Χριστοδουλίδη, ISBN: 960-8183-30-8
Αθλητική Ικανότητα και η Ανατομία της Κίνησης, Rof Wirhed, εκδόσεις ΠΑΡΙΣΙΑΝΟΥ, ISBN:960-394-004-6
ΕΜΒΙΟΜΗΧΑΝΙΚΗ, Susan Hall, εκδόσεις ΠΑΡΙΣΙΑΝΟΥ,ISBN:960-394-363-0
Additional bibliography for study
Neuromechanical basis of Kinesiology, Roger Enika, Human Kinetics, ISBN: 0-87322-665-8
Biomechanics and motor control of human movement, David Winter, Willey & Sons, ISBN: 0-471-50908-6
Kinematics of human motion, Vladimir Zatsiorsky, Human kinetics, ISBN: 0-88011-676-5
Kinetics of human motion, Vladimir Zatsiorsky, Human kinetics, ISBN: 0-7360-3778-0