Upon successful completion of the course the students should be able to:
1) understand the basic features that constitute the modern Greek collective identity
2) put cultural features in their proper historical context
3) understand the issue of "alterity" between Greks and other nations
4) understand the "western" views of Greece
5) understand the process of "construction" of collective identities
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course aims to analyse some important features of the modern Greek cultural identity, such as the conflict between Romiosyne and Hellenism, the functioning of the Greek language in the construction of Greek identity, the relations between Greeks and minority groups, and the construction of the Greek past.