|Title||ΕΙΣΑΓΩΓΗ ΣΤΙΣ ΕΠΙΣΤΗΜΕΣ ΤΗΣ ΓΛΩΣΣΑΣ / INTRODUCTION TO LANGUAGE SCIENCES |
|Title in Italian||Introduzione alle scienze delle lingue |
|School||Italian Language and Literature |
|Cycle / Level||1st / Undergraduate |
|Teaching Period||Winter/Spring |
|Coordinator||Eleni Leontaridi |
|Course ID||600000745 |
|Academic Year||2017 – 2018 |
|Class Period||Winter |
|Class ID|| |
Course Type 2016-2020
- General Knowledge
- Scientific Area
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
- Greek (Instruction, Examination)
- English (Examination)
- Spanish (Examination)
This course attempts a global (holistic) approach to linguistic phenomenon focusing on Greek and partly in Italian but not limited to them. Its primary objective is to familiarize students with the general principles of (structural and generative) linguistics, namely: a) the formal study of linguistic analysis levels and b) the functional side of language. The knowledge acquired by learners promote understanding of language as a complex phenomenon with cognitive and social basis, while the relevant skills acquired enable them to analyze linguistic phenomena at different levels in a systematic way, to understand the structure of different languages and carry out basic descriptive linguistic analysis of their mother tongue and a foreign language at different levels of linguistic analysis. At the end of the semester the students are expected to have been familiarized with the concept of scientific engagement and have gained practice in the scientific analysis of language, so, through the presentation of the fundamental principles accepted by modern linguistic science, the pointing of the two main axes of the language consideration and the nature of prejudice about language, to have been prepared regarding various issues about what they will be asked to implement when teaching (Italian as) a foreign language in the classroom.
- Apply knowledge in practice
- Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
- Adapt to new situations
- Make decisions
- Work autonomously
- Work in teams
- Work in an international context
- Work in an interdisciplinary team
- Generate new research ideas
- Appreciate diversity and multiculturality
- Demonstrate social, professional and ethical commitment and sensitivity to gender issues
- Be critical and self-critical
- Advance free, creative and causative thinking
language, linguistic analysis, interdisciplinary linguistic fields
Educational Material Types
- Slide presentations
- Video lectures
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
- Use of ICT in Course Teaching
- Use of ICT in Communication with Students
-Lecture presentations using PowerPoint files and web sources / programs.
-Posting of teaching materials at the Department’s e-class.
-Communication with students via e-mail and e-class.
Participation in classroom discussions. Papers/exercises, mid-term exam (optional).
WRITTEN final exam (the exam covers all the topics of the course). Students must answer exercises (on linguistic theory and application of linguistic analysis) and in theory development questions.
Evaluation criteria for the exercises/ linguistic applications are as follows:
For the theoretical questions the evaluation criteria are the following:
1. Accuracy and clarity
2. Comprehensibility and avoidance of redundant information
Student Assessment methods
- Written Exam with Multiple Choice Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
- Written Assignment (Formative, Summative)
- Oral Exams (Formative, Summative)
- Written Exam with Problem Solving (Formative, Summative)
- Γραπτή εξέταση (Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
-ΠΑΥΛΙΔΟΥ, Θεοδοσία (2008), Επίπεδα γλωσσικής ανάλυσης, Θεσσαλονίκη: Ινστιτούτο Νεοελληνικών Σπουδών (Ίδρυμα Μανόλη Τριανταφυλλίδη.
-LYONS, John (1995), Εισαγωγή στη γλωσσολογία, Αθήνα: Πατάκης.
Additional bibliography for study
-Σημειώσεις από τη διδάσκουσα (αρχεία power-point, PDF, videos, κ.ά.).