• Projecting the cinematic value of the documentary, conceptually and artistically,
• Familiarizing students with the basic concepts of producing documentary films,
• Developing research skills related to the content of a documentary,
• Familiarizing students with the basic concepts of the production flow of a cinematic work (idea, pre-production, production, post-production),
• Acquiring practical skills of the most useful techniques and tools used by filmmakers to produce documentaries,
• Producing related individual exercises and short documentaries.
Because of its laboratory nature, the course has compulsory attendance and because of the limited lab positions it is required to register in a form of interest at the beginning of the semester.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The importance of non-fictional content in the image industry is indisputable. The documentaries inform and sensitize the audience for a wide range of topics in an entertaining way. In the age of digital creativity, documentaries have expanded their reach to the public through the Internet, television and film festivals. The aim of the documentary production course is to introduce students to the art of documentary creation and to help them develop the professional skills required in the field. The course, structured in practical exercises, explores all phases of documentary film production: the conception of an idea, pre-production, production and post-production.
The course evaluation is based on the creation of a 5-10 minute documentary, to combine in practice, the laboratory and creative work of the students. The design and scheduling of the lectures / workshops is based on the overall creative path -original idea, development, production, postproduction - and therefore during teaching, every step leading to the final deliverable will be evaluated through corrections/feedback.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Καρακάσης, Α., Γούσιος, Χ., Κεφάλας, Κ., 2015. Εφόδιο για νέους ντοκιμαντερίστες. [ηλεκτρ. βιβλ.] Αθήνα: Σύνδεσμος Ελληνικών Ακαδημαϊκών Βιβλιοθηκών. Διαθέσιμο στο: http://hdl.handle.net/11419/3870
Σκοπετέας, Ιωάννης (2016). Κάμερα, Φως και Εικόνα στην ψηφιακή οπτικοακουστική καταγραφή. Εκδόσεις Ίων. ISBN: 978-960-508-206-2, Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 59384091.