Course Information
SchoolEnglish Language and Literature
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodWinter/Spring
Course ID600012417

Programme of Study: 2018-2019

Registered students: 0
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
KORMOSElective CoursesWinter/Spring-6

Class Information
Academic Year2017 – 2018
Class PeriodSpring
Instructors from Other Categories
Weekly Hours3
Total Hours39
Class ID
1. aSofia Emmanouilidou
2. bMaria Dimitrakopoulou
3. cAikaterini Gouleti
4. dMaria Ristani
Course Type 2016-2020
  • Skills Development
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
Digital Course Content
Language of Instruction
  • English (Instruction, Examination)
Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course students should be able to: • Research a topic using the university library, electronic databases and the Internet • Produce a typed, properly formatted academic paper that uses sources • Integrate, reference and evaluate sources effectively using the required referencing system • Write their own bibliography page
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Adapt to new situations
  • Make decisions
  • Work autonomously
  • Work in teams
  • Work in an interdisciplinary team
  • Generate new research ideas
  • Appreciate diversity and multiculturality
  • Demonstrate social, professional and ethical commitment and sensitivity to gender issues
  • Be critical and self-critical
  • Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course aims to instruct students in basic computer literacy and research skills. Students are required to attend workshop-style classes, as well as lessons in the computer lab and compulsory tutorials on word processing. Attendance for all components of the course is mandatory. Students are also required to meet with their instructors to discuss their final assignments. The course aims to instruct students in the following: • Computer literacy (word processing, using library catalogues, electronic databases and the Internet) • Library resources (familiarity with the university library system and the sources available through the library’s electronic databases) • Research skills (locating relevant print and electronic sources) • Using sources (avoiding plagiarism, referencing, quoting and paraphrasing sources, evaluating sources, citing references and bibliography) • Research writing (developing an argument, integrating sources, treating sources critically, acknowledging and referencing sources, formatting a paper, respecting deadlines)
computer skills, research skills, sources, library, bibliography, MLA, APA
Educational Material Types
  • Notes
  • Video lectures
  • Multimedia
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
Course Organization
Laboratory Work
Written assigments
Student Assessment
Assessment Assessment will take the form of an in-class test (30%); assignment 1 (source finding, source evaluation, writing a works cited page) (20%); assignment 2 (50%). There will be no final exam. In-class test: (30%): Students will be asked to demonstrate their ability to paraphrase, quote, reference and evaluate secondary sources. Assignment 1: Works cited page and source evaluation (20%) Students will be given a topic and asked to find 5 relevant and quality sources on that topic, and write out the sources in the works cited page using either MLA style or APA format. Assignment 2 (50%): An 800-1,000 word, typed, properly formatted academic paper using 2 academic sources.
Student Assessment methods
  • Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
  • Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
  • Written Assignment (Formative, Summative)
  • Labortatory Assignment (Formative, Summative)
Additional bibliography for study
USING DATABASES Project Muse Pro-Quest JSTOR GOOGLE Using Google Effectively Google Scholar Google Books (Useful for extracts from books) WORD 2003 and WORD 2007 FORMATTING AND STYLE Tutorials on MLA MLA 7th Edition Tutorials on APA AUTH LIBRARIES Auth library catalogue English department library catalogue WRITING AND RESEARCH SKILLS Evaluating sources
Last Update