By the end of the course students should be able to:
• Research a topic using the university library, electronic databases and the Internet
• Produce a typed, properly formatted academic paper that uses sources
• Integrate, reference and evaluate sources effectively using the required referencing system
• Write their own bibliography page
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course aims to instruct students in basic computer literacy and research skills. Students are required to attend workshop-style classes, as well as lessons in the computer lab and compulsory tutorials on word processing. Attendance for all components of the course is mandatory. Students are also required to meet with their instructors to discuss their final assignments.
The course aims to instruct students in the following:
• Computer literacy (word processing, using library catalogues, electronic databases and the Internet)
• Library resources (familiarity with the university library system and the sources available through the library’s electronic databases)
• Research skills (locating relevant print and electronic sources)
• Using sources (avoiding plagiarism, referencing, quoting and paraphrasing sources, evaluating sources, citing references and bibliography)
• Research writing (developing an argument, integrating sources, treating sources critically, acknowledging and referencing sources, formatting a paper, respecting deadlines)
computer skills, research skills, sources, library, bibliography, MLA, APA
Assessment will take the form of an in-class test (30%); assignment 1 (source finding, source evaluation, writing a works cited page) (20%); assignment 2 (50%). There will be no final exam.
In-class test: (30%):
Students will be asked to demonstrate their ability to paraphrase, quote, reference and evaluate secondary sources.
Assignment 1: Works cited page and source evaluation (20%)
Students will be given a topic and asked to find 5 relevant and quality sources on that topic, and write out the sources in the works cited page using either MLA style or APA format.
Assignment 2 (50%):
An 800-1,000 word, typed, properly formatted academic paper using 2 academic sources.