Upon completion of the course the students will be able to:
1. Know the biology and the geographical diversity of the domestic pig and identify the most common breeds of pigs,
2. identify the different swine production systems (farrow to finish, vertically integrated free range etc.,
3. identify the different production stages in a swine enterprise (weaning breeding, nursery, etc.),
4. to apply mating schemes and follow a genetic improvement or breeding program,
5. select breeding livestock (gilts, boars)
Course Content (Syllabus)
The significance and evolution of pig production. Races, genetic evaluation and reproductional use of pigs. Basic production traits. Genetic improvement systems, conditions and management in pig production.