Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. to understand the processes of water flow in unsaturated zone of soil
2. to handle and solve problems of water store in soil
3. to find the optimum solution for irrigation water application in the soil.
4. to collaborate and designing case studies of water flow in the soil, irrigation, infiltration of water redistribution and deep percolation
5. to find solved problems of water and solute fate in the soil and the leaching to groundwater
Course Content (Syllabus)
Water storage in soil, irrigation constants, changes in time. Energy, potential, measurements. Equations of soil water flow and continue. Characteristic curve and functions (measurement, equations, parameter evaluation). Infiltration, factors, semi empirical equations, parameters. Solution of simple equation for infiltration, redistribution, drainage, transpiration and evaporation. Water uptake by plants, equations, functions of soil water decrease effects and salinity on uptake. Fundamentals of mass transport in soil - diffusion, dispersion, convection, absorption and transformation of solutes. Integrated description of soil water flow and mass transport in the system of soil-water-plant. Agrochemicals in the soil. Index of groundwater vulnerability from pesticides and fertilizers.