1. In the end of this class the students will know what exactly the New Method is, its historical details and its specific musicological features.
2. The will know special musicians from the 19th and 20th c. and their work which was based in the New Method.
3. The will be able to understand the importance of the New Method for the development of non ecclesiastical (secular) musical traditions (folk songs, new urban music, ect) .
4. Finally, they will be able to estimate the essential importance of the New Method in the development of the entire Greek music.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Historical and musicological components of the New Method of analytical musical notation (extensively), great musicians and their musical work (based on the New Method) during the 19th and 20th c. The importance of the New Method for the literary and the traditional music and for the music of the ancient Greek theater. The influence of the New Method on the contemporary Greek composers.
New Method, The three Teachers, literary music, traditional music, the effect of Byzantine music
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Εμμ. Γιαννόπουλου, Η ψαλτική τέχνη. Λόγος και μέλος στη λατρεία της ορθόδοξης εκκλησίας. Β', Θεσσαλονίκη 2016 (εκδ. Κυριακίδη).
2. Εμμ. Γιαννόπουλος (κριτική έκδ.), Εισαγωγή εις το θεωρητικόν και πρακτικόν της εκκλησιαστικής μουσικής...Χουρμούζιος Χαρτοφύλαξ, Θεσσαλονίκη 2007.