After the completion of the course the students will be able to:
1. To develop and implement advanced mathematical models for the short-term scheduling problem of batch processes
2. To develop optimisation problems of Chemical Processes using Mixed-Integer programming techniques.
3. To understand the challenges in production scheduling problems and propose solutions
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction to production systems management and optimization. Definition of objective functions and constraints. Classification of optimization problems: Linear, non-linear and mixed-integer programming problems. Mixed-Integer Linear Programming (MILP) problems: modelling with binary (0-1) variables. Transformation of logical constraints into equivalent mathematical constraints.
Representative MILP problems. The product distribution problem. The problem of optimal technology selection in power generation plants. The optimization of heat exchanger networks for energy integration and energy savings. Optimal integration of renewable energies.
Batch Production Processes. Introduction, challenges in the context of scheduling and planning. The State-Task-Network (STN) of production recipes in batch plants. Time representation and discretization. Constraint of the problem: Unit allocation constraint, equipment capacity constraints; storage constraints, material balance constraints, utility constraints, equipment unavailability constraints and other special type constraints. Definition of objective function. Case study: Optimal short-term scheduling of lubricants production plant.
Integrated productino scheduling and design of batch plants. Modelling of equipment selection and design options.
Optimal design of production and distribution networks. Model constraints, including logical constraints, capacity constraints, transportation constraints, resources constraints. Objective fuction: minimisation of total supply chain costs.
Production Scheduling and Planning, Optimisation of Productions Processes, Design and Operation of Production Systems
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Επιχειρησιακή Έρευνα για τη Λήψη Διοικητικών Αποφάσεων Γ.Σ. Οικονόμου & Α.Κ. Γεωργίου Εκδόσεις Μπένου, Αθήνα 2011 ΕΥΔΟΞΟΣ: 12613531
2. Μελέτες Περιπτώσεων Επιχειρησιακής Έρευνας τόμος Α Α.Κ. Γεωργίου, Γ.Σ. Οικονόμου & Γ.Δ. Τσιότρα Εκδόσεις Μπένου, Αθήνα 2006 ΕΥΔΟΞΟΣ: 3746 ISBN: 960-8249-50-3