Upon successful completion of the course students will:
- Gain basic knowledge in designing 3D objects / assemblies, interpreting their mechanical drawings and perform desing optimization of constructions.
- Be able to design 3D objects and assemblies using the parametric design software SolidWorks and create drawings.
- Be able to use the finite element method to examine the thermal and structural behavior of objects or assemblies they design.
- Practice in presenting the results of their group essay in front of an audience.
- Cultivate their social skills during the progress and completion of the team essay.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The scope of the course is to provide the basic knowledge on the 3D CAD design of objects/devices/assemblies, on the interpretation of engineering drawings and on the design optimization of structures. The scope of the course is fulfilled through the use of the parametric design software SolidWorks.
The main goals of the course are:
• Describe and analyze the basic concepts of objects design, with special emphasis on the design of objects' views and sections, and analyze the rationale for adding dimensions in an model.
• Analyze the basic principles of parametric design software. Describe in analytical way and train student in the use of basic tools of Solidworks (sketch, views, extruded boss / base, extruded cut, revolve boss / base, mirror, pattern, reference geometry, hole wizard, etc.) for the design of two-dimensional objects and then converting them into three-dimensional.
• Present the methods of how to create an assembly from different parts and how to mate them together.
• Describe the methodology to create a drawing of an object/assembly which is designed in three dimensions
• Describe in details the finite element method used to simulate the behavior (strengths, stresses, deformations, temperature profile, etc.) of objects designed. This tool is used to optimize the design of objects in order to meet all the required specifications in the best possible way.
Additional bibliography for study
Solidworks Essentials, Training book, Dassault Systemes, 2015
Solidworks Simulation, Training book, Dassault Systemes, 2015
Solidworks Simulation Professional, Training book, Dassault Systemes, 2015