Students following the course are expected to:
• Understand the basic concepts of waste streams.
• Get acquainted with the concept of life cycle analysis.
• Understand issues related to the toxicity of waste.
• Understand the principles of location identification of solid waste management facilities.
• Understand the basic principles of legislation related to waste management.
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Introduction to Solid Waste Management - Basic Principles
2. Legislative framework for solid waste management (national - Community)
3. Characteristics of solid waste streams
4. Source Reduction and Toxicity
5. Collection and Recycling
6. Composting of municipal solid waste
7. Deposition in landfill
8. Incineration of waste with energy recovery
9. Gasification and cracking of wastes and debris
10. Biological processes for the treatment of solid waste for energy recovery
and production of high added value products
11. Hazardous Waste Management
12. Land use planning of solid waste management facilities
Solid Waste, life cycle analysis, waste streams, toxic waste, recycling, composting