Course Content (Syllabus)
The Christianization of the Empire by Constantine the Great and so on. The Great Migration of the Peoples and the collapse of the Western Roman State. Establishment of barbarian kingdoms in the West. The creation, formation, and development of the byzantine cultural composition. The survival of the Eastern Empire during the crisis of the Late Antiquity. The age of Justinian I. The crisis of the 7th century and the survival of the State. The configuration and the internal development of the Byzantine State in the Middle Byzantine period and the peak of its glory of Byzantium. The collapse of the 11th century and the reorganization under the Komnenoi. The 13th and 14th century. The Greeks during the Turkish Rule. The organization of the Hellenism and the Church.
1. The prevalence Christianity of the empire. Constantine the Great and his successors.
2. The collapse of the Empire in the West. Survival in the East.
3. The founding of the Germanic Kingdoms in the West.
4. The formation of the Early Byzantine State and Byzantine Society. Justinian.
5. The crisis of the 7th century.
6. The Isaurian period. Iconoclasm. Survival and change.
7. The state of Charles the Great and the formation of the medieval West.
8. The zenith of byzantine power (10th-11th c.). Nicephorus Phocas, Johannes Tsimiskes, Basil II.
9. The dissolution of the army and administration and the collapse of the state (1025-1081). The restoration of byzantine power under the Komnenoi.
10. The Latin Conquest (1204). The Restoration of the Empire (1204-1282). Decline and Fall.
11. The organization of the «Γένος» and their survival during the Ottoman period.
12. The social and educational work of the Church.
13. Overview of Hellenism by region.
Additional bibliography for study
1.Α.Γ.Κ. Σαββίδης, Ben. Hendrickx, Εισαγωγή στη Βυζαντινή Ιστορία, Θεσσαλονίκη 2003.
2.Ι. Καραγιαννόπουλος, Ιστορία του Βυζαντινού Κράτους, τ. 1-3, Θεσσαλονίκη
3.Δ. Ευγενίδου – Δ. Τριανταφυλλόπουλος – Ε. Γλύκατζη-Αρβελέρ – J. Koder – Κ. Πιτσάκης – G. Dagron – Αθ. Μαρκόπουλος – C. Mango – Τ. Παπαμαστοράκης – P. Magdalino – C. Morrisson – Chr. Hannick – Ε. Παπασταύρου, Το Βυζάντιο ως οικουμένη, Αθήνα 2005.