The goal of this course is for the students to learn in depth about the personality, the mindset, the significance, the spiritual experience and freedom of two Orthodox theologians of the 20th century, St Silouan the Athonite, and Elder Sophrony of Essex, and at the same time to sketch their theological and social contribution to the world in general.
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Introduction and general presentation of the ascetical figures of Mount Athos.
2. Elder Sophrony (Sakharov) of Essex (1896 – 11 July 1993). Biographical information.
3. His work.
4. His theological approach.
5. The tradition and renovation in his theology.
6. St Silouan the Athonite (1866-1938). Biographical information.
7. The Patristic Tradition in his teaching .
8. Tradition and personal experience in his life.
9. Spiritual fatherhood according to St Silouan.
10. The ascetical experiences of St Silouan.
11. The Ecumenicity in his teaching.
12. Presentation of papers.
13. Presentation of papers.