The students will be able to describe and solve the theological issues that raised in patristic literature. Furthermore, they will be able to connect more specific issues of the theology of Cyril of Alexandria and Proclus of Constantinople.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Teaching of particular themes of the patristic theology, as raised in the periods under review. They are explained and analyzed basic theological positions of the patristic teaching, and presented positions of the Fathers in relation always to emerging issues.
1. Introductory course on the period prior to the Ecumenical Council of Ephesus in order to combrehended themes concerning the teaching of Proclus of Constantinople and Cyril of Alexandria.
2. The relation between christology and soteriology in Proclus.
3. The relation between sin and death due to the fall of the first man.
4. The salvation of the man according to Proclus through the representative sacrifice of Christ.
5. The designations of the mystery of the divine eucharist according to Cyril of Alexandria and various protyposeis of the mystery.
6. Hagiographic foundation of the establishment and delivery of the divine eucharist.
7. The mysterious and sacrificial character of the mystery of the holy eucharist according to Cyril.
8. The conditions of participation in the holy eucharist.
9. The fruits of the holy eucharist for man.
10. The relationship between holy eucharist and ecclesiology according to Cyril.
11. The divine eucharist in nestorian controversy, the falsehoods of Nestorius and the Cyril's reply regarding this mystery.
12. The teaching of Nestorius on Theotokos and the corresponding of Proclus, distinguishing the God-bearing from the deification of the Virgin Mary.
13. Theological issues, exchange of arguments and discussion.
PROCLUS OF CONSTANTINOPLE, CYRIL OF ALEXANDRIA, NESTORIUS OF CONSTANTINOPLE, CHRISTOLOGY, SOTERIOLOGY, THEOTOKOS, HOLY EUCHARIST