INTERNATIONAL AND EUROPEAN SOCIAL LAW

Course Information
TitleINTERNATIONAL AND EUROPEAN SOCIAL LAW / INTERNATIONAL AND EUROPEAN SOCIAL LAW
CodeΕΛΕ71
FacultyLaw
SchoolLaw
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodSpring
CoordinatorAnna-Maria Konsta
CommonYes
StatusActive
Course ID100001713

Programme of Study: UPS School of Law (2015-today)

Registered students: 16
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
Unified OrientationElective Courses844

Class Information
Academic Year2018 – 2019
Class PeriodSpring
Faculty Instructors
Weekly Hours2
Class ID
600127055
Type of the Course
  • General Knowledge
Course Category
General Foundation
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
Digital Course Content
Erasmus
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
  • English (Instruction, Examination)
Learning Outcomes
The aim of this course is, on one hand, to give students the opportunity to become familiar with the international and supranational labour standards, and the international legal documents and Charters protecting fundamental social rights, and on the other hand, to enable them to understand how these rules are applied at the international and national level by the international monitoring bodies and by the international and national courts. Specific learning objectives of the course are to provide students with skills, which will enable them: (1) to handle with ease the multiplicity of legal sources in the fields of labor law and social policy. (2) to study and be able to comment on the international case law, and in particular the judgments of the Court of the EU in the field of labor and social law. (3) to examine the impact of international and European legislation and case law on the national legal order, and (4) to prepare research papers concerning either the solution of practical legal problems, or the theoretical analysis of a specific topic.
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Work autonomously
  • Work in teams
  • Work in an international context
  • Work in an interdisciplinary team
  • Appreciate diversity and multiculturality
  • Demonstrate social, professional and ethical commitment and sensitivity to gender issues
  • Be critical and self-critical
  • Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course is taught only in English. It examines the law of the International Labour Organization and the Council of Europe, but its main focus is on EU social law, including both labour law and social policy of the European Union. After an introduction of the historical evolution of European Social Law, the course examines the sources of this law, the social provisions of the EU treaties and basic topics such as the free movement of workers, European social citizenship, European collective conventions, workers’ representation in groups of undertakings, working time regulation, the principle of non-discrimination in employment and work, gender equality, and the social rights enshrined in the European Union Charter of Fundamental Rights and their relationship to the economic freedoms of the European Union.
Educational Material Types
  • Notes
  • Slide presentations
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
Course Organization
ActivitiesWorkloadECTSIndividualTeamworkErasmus
Lectures753
Seminars251
Total1004
Student Assessment
Description
Students who choose to attend the course have two options. They can either prepare a written essay on topics related to the course and present that essay in an oral examination or participate in the final exams which are based on the whole content of the course. The process of evaluation between the two categories of students is the following: A. STUDENTS DECIDING TO PREPARE A WRITTEN ESSAY are evaluated on the basis of their performance on that essay whose grade constitutes the 60% of the total grade as well as on the basis of their performance on the oral examination whose grade is the remaining 40% of the total grade. B. STUDENTS DECIDING NOT TO PREPARE A WRITTEN WORK are evaluated according to their performance in the final written exams. Their final grade is their evaluation on that exams.
Student Assessment methods
  • Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
  • Written Assignment (Formative, Summative)
Bibliography
Additional bibliography for study
BARNARD, C. EU employment law. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012. BERCUSSON, B. European labour law. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009. BLANPAIN, R. European labour law. Alphen/Rijn: Kluwer Law International, 2012. DAVIES, A. C. L. EU labour law. Cheltenham, UK; Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar, 2012. KENNER, J. EU employment law. Oxford: Hart, 2011.
Last Update
31-10-2015