Upon successful completion of the course students will be able:
- A thorough examination and interpretation of specific topics of the foundations of the Christian faith, on the basis of the life and the cultural records of the Church (Chistian literature and art).
- The research and study of the faith and life of Church community in its timeless path and synodal formulations of Orthodox dogma with Ecclesiology at its center.
- Specific issues concerning Ecclesiology are presented, interpreted and discussed, on the basis of the Church Fathers and the approaches of contemporary theologians to themes related to Orthodox teaching of the Church.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Specific issues concerning Ecclesiology are presented, interpreted and discussed, on the basis of the Church Fathers and the approaches of contemporary theologians to themes related to Orthodox teaching of the Church.
SCHEDULE OF LECTURES:
1) Creation and the Church. Church and the Kingdom of Heaven in Orthodox theology.
2) The Church as institution and charismatic in the conversation concerning contemporary theological research and praxis.
3) Patristic and contemporary descriptions, icons and schemata about the Church.
4) The Divine Economy in Christ and the work of the Holy Spirit. The issue of the “two Economies”.
5) The inextricable connection between Christology and Pneumatology in Orthodox Ecclesiology.
6) The Church as Body of Christ and the position of the prótos as first among equals in the life of the Church.
7) The Mysteries of the Church or in other words an oration On the Life in Christ of the world.
8) Charismatic life and the institutions of the Church.
9) The limits of the Church. The conversation concerning the canonical and charismatic boundaries of the Church.
10) Healing (θεραπεία), charismatic theosis and the salvation of Man as a person in the life of the ecclesial community. Eschatology: Paradise and Hell.
11) Conditions for Church unity in the Holy Eucharist and the Bishop in the Orthodox theology. Related problems and challenges for contemporary theological thought and praxis.
12-13) Presentation, conversation, critical examination and dealing with the
problems of the theses that have been undertaken by postgraduate students.
Church, Kingdom, icons about the Church, institution charisma, Economy of Christ, Christology, Pneumatology, Body of Christ, limits of Church, therapeia, charismatic theosis, salvation, paradise, hell, unity of Church, bishop, Holy Eucharist.