Course Information
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodWinter
Course ID20002526

Programme of Study: PROGRAMMA SPOUDŌN 2020-21 EŌS SĪMERA

Registered students: 0
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
KORMOSElective Courses belonging to the selected specialization9512

Class Information
Academic Year2018 – 2019
Class PeriodWinter
Faculty Instructors
Weekly Hours8
Class ID
Course Type 2016-2020
  • Scientific Area
  • Skills Development
Course Type 2011-2015
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
Language of Instruction
  • Greek (Instruction, Examination)
General Prerequisites
The course requires successful completion during previous semesters of the Urban Planning studio (05EE10) and the Urban design Studio (06EA10)
Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course, students will have acquired the following skills - understanding of contemporary approaches to urban design - understanding of contemporary theoretical approaches to enviromentalism - practice using basic design tools of enviromental urban design - practice using the basic tools of participatory design - composing multi-level strategies for the urban environment - utilising advanced tools of urban analysis.
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Adapt to new situations
  • Make decisions
  • Work in teams
  • Work in an interdisciplinary team
  • Generate new research ideas
  • Appreciate diversity and multiculturality
  • Respect natural environment
  • Be critical and self-critical
  • Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
Urban interventions towards sustainability The studio will work on small scale urban projects located beyond the city centre, seeking to unravel the hidden neighborhoods of everyday life as a field of tranformations towards sustainability. Embarking on a critical approach to dominant conceptualizations of sustainability, the studio questions the established division between city and nature, between environmental and social goals. It researches theoretical approaches and design tools at the scale of the neighbourhood, that reinvent the relationship between nature and society not through detached technical fixes but through processes of participation, activation of public space, everyday praxes, temporary interventions, productive activities. The studio's theoretical framing draws critically from contemporary approaches to urbanism such as urban resilience, urban political ecology, environmental justice. Design tools constitute responses and adaptations to environmental characteristics and changes that undermine everyday life in the city, modify the urban ecosystem, deplete the nature hinterland, threat global ecosystemic processes. Green and blue networks, energy systems, transport networks, urban food systems and protection from disasters and crises enrich and extend the scope of urban design, as critical materialisations of wider strategic goals. The anonymous, densely built neighbourhoods at the eastern part of the central Municipality of Thessaloniki, in conjunction to the network of metro stations,which are currently under construction and in the context of economic crisis offer a fertile field for experimenting our concepts and design tools.
Urban design, urban sustainability, urban resilience, participatory design
Educational Material Types
  • Slide presentations
  • Book
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Laboratory Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
The studio utilises digital tools of design and representation and is supported by the University's elearing platform.
Course Organization
Interim presentations10
Student Assessment
Αssessment is based on project ( completeness, design quality, technical adequacy, oral and graphic presentation ) contributing 80% to the final grade, while the remaining 20% assesses the students' performance in the interim presentations.
Student Assessment methods
  • Performance / Staging (Formative, Summative)
  • Report (Formative, Summative)
  • Interim presentations
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Αθανασίου, Ευαγγελία (2015) Πόλη και φύση, Θεωρήσεις της φύσης στον πολεοδομικό σχεδιασμό, Ελληνικά Ακαδημαϊκά Ηλεκτρονικά Συγγράμματα και Βοηθήματα - Αποθετήριο "Κάλλιπος" Κωδικός Εύδοξος 320028 Διαθέσιμο στο Βιτοπούλου, Α. Γεμενετζή Γ., Γιαννακού Α., Καυκαλάς Γ. Τασοπούλου Α. (2015) Βιώσιμες πόλεις Προσαρμογή και ανθεκτικότητα σε περιόδους κρίσης,Ελληνικά Ακαδημαϊκά Ηλεκτρονικά Συγγράμματα και Βοηθήματα - Αποθετήριο "Κάλλιπος" Κωδικός Εύδοξος 320147 Διαθέσιμο στο
Last Update