Upon successful completion of the sourse the students shoyld be able to:
1) Understand the basic features of European history during the period 1789-1945
2) put the main historical landmarks of European history in their historical context
3) Understand the Greek revolution of 1821
4) Comprehend the basic historical issues connected with the modern greek state-formation in the 19th century
5) Understand the ways in which historical issues are analysed
Course Content (Syllabus)
The aim of this course is to give a broad introduction to some basic features a) of modern European history from 1789 to 1945, and b) of modern Greek history mainly in the 19th century. Within this framework particular attention is given to the French Revolution, the Industrial Revolution, the European ideological movements, the Great War, the Interwar years and the Second World War. As far as Greek history is concerned the subjects studied include the Greek Revolution of 1821 and the modern Greek state formation.