Students after successfully attending the course will be able to:
i) understand the nature of congenital and acquired heart and great vessel disease that requires surgical intervention,
ii) guide diagnostic evaluation,
iii) evaluate the results of related diagnostic procedures,
iv) guide appropriate management in a specialized centre,
v) acquire a clear overview on the management of heart disease by combining knowledge gained in this course with what they have already learned from Cardiology and General Surgery Course.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Cardiac Surgery course aims to introduce the pre-graduate medical students to the most important aspects related to the surgical management of diseases of the heart and great vessels, such as coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, aneurysms and dissection of the thoracic aorta. Diagnosis and major indications for the surgical management of cardiac diseases are presented following the principles of evidence-based medicine. Modern cardiac surgical techniques related to arrhythmia surgery and cardiac failure are also discussed. Special emphasis is given on developing areas of cardiac surgery, such as beating heart coronary surgery, minimal-invasive cardiac surgery, endovascular and hybrid management of thoracic aortic disease together with transcatheter aortic valve replacement and left ventricular assist device implantation.
1. Anatomy of the heart.
2. Physiology of the circulatory system.
3. Diagnostic evaluation of heart disease.
4. Principles of Extracorporeal Circulation and myocardial protection.
5. Surgical management of most common congenital heart disease.
6. Surgical management of coronary artery disease.
7. Surgical management of valvular heart disease.
8. Thoracic aortic disease.
9. Surgical management of arrhythmias. Cardiac pacing.
10. Surgical management of cardiac failure.
11. Trauma of the heart and great vessels.
12. Heart tumors. Diseases of the pericardium.
Cardiac Surgery, Aorta, Extracorporeal circulation, Pericardium, Great Vessels
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Π. Σπανός, Γ. Μπουγιούκας, Π. Ασημακόπουλος, Κ. Αναγνωστόπουλος, Φ. Παναγόπουλος, Π. Σπύρου. Στοιχεία Καρδιοχειρουργικής. University Studio Press. ΙSBN 960-12-0735-X
2. Φ. Παναγόπουλος, Χ. Παπακωνσταντίνου. Καρδιοχειρουργική. University Studio Press. ΙSBN 960-12-0414-8