Following successful attendance of the course the student should be capable to:
1. Take history and perform clinical examination of the healthy term neonate and recognize the clinical signs suggesting potentially pathological underlying condition
2. To perform basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation in emergent situations and treat the common neonatal problems (i.e. jaundice, respiratory distress)
3. To diagnose and treat the problems of the preterm neonates
4. To evaluate the parameters measured by the monitors
5. To evaluate the results of the main laboratory tests (whole blood count, hematocrit, hemoglobin, platelets, CRP, blood gases, biochemical tests)
6. To perform the long-term follow up of the high risk neonates and recognize the long-tern consequences of the neonatal problems
Course Content (Syllabus)
The Neonatology course offers the students the chance to get familiar with the standard care of the normal newborn as well as the problems of the preterm and severely ill neonate and their reatment. Contents of the course: History and clinical examination, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, stabilization and transport of the neonate, birth injuries, intrauterine growth restriction, infants of diabetic mothers, prematurity, respiratory problems of the preterm and term neonate, mechanical ventilation, intracranial hemorrhage, neonatal seizures, congenital and perinatal infections, neonatal jaundice, hematological problems, metabolic problems, emergent surgical problems.
neonates, preterms, respiratory distress, infections, seizures, cerebral hemorrhage, asphyxia,
Additional bibliography for study
1.Cloherty and Stark's Manual of Neonatal Care 8th edition, by Hansen, Anne R.; Eichenwald, Eric C.; Stark, Ann R.; Martin, Camilia R. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016.
2.Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP), 7th Ed by Gary M. Weiner, MD,FAAP and Jeanette Zaichkin, RN,MN,NNP-BC, American Academy of Pediatrics and American Heart Association 2016.
3.Neonatology: Management, Procedures, On Call Problems, Diseases, and Drugs. 7th edition. by Tricia Lacy Gomella MD., McGraw Medical, 2013
4.Avery's Diseases of the Newborn, 10th Edition. By Christine A. Gleason, MD and Sandra E Juul, MD, Elsevier, 2018.