Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able:
• Understand the soils as a medium of forest vegetation growth.Study of soil profile
• Understand the basic functions of the soil organisms and the ecology of the forest soils.
• To know the importance and the cycle decomposition of organic matter in forest soils.
• To know about the soil nutrients and ways of managing them to improve the fertility and productivity of forest
• Understand how water works and its impacts on forest soils.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Soil as a medium for forest vegetation growth. Biological properties of forest soils, organic matter - forest floor - soil organisms. Nutrient recycling in forest-soil ecosystems. Forest soils and hydrological cycle. Effects of clear-cutting and thinning, on forest soils.
The general chapters of the course are the following:
1. The soils of Halkidiki: Formation, Management and Restoration of their Functions.
2. Soil classification principles.Factors affecting soil quality (group exercise).
3. Examination, description and sampling of soils.
4. Influence of vegetation on the formation of soil properties. Examination and description of soil properties under the
influence of grassland and forest vegetation (group exercise).
5. Soil profile excavation, description and assessment of the soil properties and completion of a soil
description sheet (exercise in groups of 7 persons).
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. N.C.BRADY, R.R. WEIL:ΕΔΑΦΟΛΟΓΙΑ, η φύση και οι ιδιότητες των εδαφών, Εκδόσεις, ΕΜΒΡΥΟ - ΒΑΣΙΛΕΙΑΔΗΣ ΣΤΥΛΙΑΝΟΣ, 2011
ISBN 9789608002623, Κωδικός Βιβλίου στον Εύδοξο: 12536597