PHARMACEUTICAL BIOTECHNOLOGY

Course Information
TitleΦΑΡΜΑΚΕΥΤΙΚΗ ΒΙΟΤΕΧΝΟΛΟΓΙΑ / PHARMACEUTICAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
CodeΝΠ35
FacultyHealth Sciences
SchoolPharmacy
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodWinter
CommonNo
StatusActive
Course ID180000276

Programme of Study: Programme of Studies 2008-

Registered students: 254
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
CoreCompulsory Course744

Class Information
Academic Year2018 – 2019
Class PeriodWinter
Faculty Instructors
Weekly Hours5
Class ID
600131651
Type of the Course
  • Background
  • Scientific Area
Course Category
Specific Foundation / Core
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
Language of Instruction
  • Greek (Instruction, Examination)
Learning Outcomes
To introduce students to the rapidly developing, in recent years, area of «Pharmaceutical Biotechnology» and familiarize them with the basic concepts, technologies and applications of molecular biotechnology in the production of pharmaceuticals, using enzymes, genes, genetically modified organisms and plants.
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Adapt to new situations
  • Work autonomously
  • Work in teams
  • Work in an international context
  • Work in an interdisciplinary team
  • Generate new research ideas
  • Respect natural environment
  • Be critical and self-critical
  • Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
- Molecular Biotechnology (Principles and applications) - Gene identification, cloning and expression/protein production - Recombinant protein expression systems (bacteria, yeasts, plant cells/plants, cells from multicellular eukaryotes, transgenic animals) - Issues related to quantity, quality (protein folding, and activity) and purification of recombinant proteins. - Protein transduction technologies - Formulation of therapeutic proteins - Pharmacokinetics - Pharmacodynamics and immunogenicity of therapeutic proteins - Hematopoetic and growth factors, interferons, interleukins, insulins, growth hormone, and other peptide hormones, recombinant blood coaggulation proteins and thrombolytics - Therapeutic and diagnostic antibodies (structure, development, modifications) - Vaccines - Genomics and other -omics technologies - Gene therapy - Cell therapies and regenerative medicine - Biotherapeutics and biosimilars - Regulatory affairs on the production, quality, and licensing of biotherapeutics - Bioethics and issues related to the use of genetically modified organisms used in biotherapeutics production
Educational Material Types
  • Notes
  • Slide presentations
  • Book
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
Description
ICT is being used both in the lectures and the tutorials of the course (Powerpoint presentations, interactive tutorials using ICT, videos etc.). Lecture material, as well as course and exam announcements, exam results etc. are posted on the webpages of the course instructors.
Course Organization
ActivitiesWorkloadECTSIndividualTeamworkErasmus
Lectures
Written assigments
Total
Student Assessment
Description
Student evaluation involves written exams at the end of the winter semester or during the September exams period. The exam score represents 90% of the final grade, whereas the remaining 10% of the grade stems from oral presentation of bibliographic papers.
Student Assessment methods
  • Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Formative, Summative)
  • Written Exam with Extended Answer Questions (Summative)
  • Written Assignment (Formative, Summative)
  • Performance / Staging (Formative, Summative)
Bibliography
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. D.J.A. Crommelin, R.D. Sindelar, B. Meibohn, «Φαρμακευτική Βιοτεχνολογία» (3η έκδοση, 2011) Επιμέλεια Ελληνικής Έκδοσης: Α.Σ. Τσιφτσόγλου, Γ. Σωτηροπούλου 2. Watson, J. D., Myers, R.M., Caudy, A.A., Witkowski, J.A. ΑΝΑΣΥΝΔΥΑΣΜΕΝΟ DNA Συγγραφείς: James D. κ.α. Έκδοση: 3/2007, Ακαδημαϊκές Εκδόσεις Ι. Μπάσδρα & Σια.
Additional bibliography for study
Υλικό από τις διαλέξεις των διδασκόντων και σημειώσεις που αναρτώνται στις ιστοδελίδες τους,
Last Update
24-10-2018