The Internet of Things (IoT) comprises the connected things in the Internet and it is based on the computational characteristics of the things, which depends on their embedded software. The IoT includes smart things that interact and communicate data to other things, objects, environments and infrastructures. An immediate consequence is the generation of a large volume of data that is processed in order to act by command and control of objects, which facilitates our everyday life, makes it safer and limits our impact to the environment.
We expect that in the frame of this course the students
- know the architecture of systems for the IoT
- understand the rapid developments taking place with the continuous deployment of new IoT applications in our everyday life and in the economy
- understand the interactions between things in the IoT, as well as between things and the cloud system
- will be familiarised with the design of applications by utilizing services provided by IoT platforms
- will be familiarised with the programming of things on the control of sensors and of their interaction with the cloud
- will be familiarised with the collection of data, their analysis and their use in IoT applications
Course Content (Syllabus)
IoT system architecture (devices, gateways, cloud, apps) - Programming for IoT technologies integration - IoT application programming (Representational State Transfer, Message Queuing Telemetry Transport, Constrained Application Protocol) - IoT platform programming - IoT edge (gateway) design (data representation and data connectivity) - IoT device programming (sensors, actuators, control) - Big data and IoT analytics - IoT security model.
Internet, embedded systems, cloud computing, data communication, data processing