Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to:
1. Understand the important relationship between language and society
2. Acknowledge the heterogeneity of language and its importance for communication
3. Acknowledge the importance of the linguistic and social heterogeneity in communication
4. Connect language and identity for various social groups
5. Appreciate the educational dimensions of the linguistic and social heterogeneity.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course 'Language and Society' (Sociolinguistics)includes issues relating to the linguistic and communicative behaviour, investigating social parameters such as age, gender, education, ethnic and geographical origin, etc.
Through this course the communicative behaviour of various social groups and issues of language and identity are analysed. The connection of language and society and education is analysed.
Language, linguistic norm, dialects, ethnolects, sociolects, linguistic varieties, education