1. Biochemical terminology.
2. Βasic knowledge about the life on the earth at molecular level (structure of macromolecules and their building blocks, their biological roles, as well an introductory aspect about their metabolism).
3. Scientific apprehension, understanding better and going deeper about the management of biological systems at the field (farming).
Course Content (Syllabus)
The life on the earth. The aminoacids, the polypeptide chain and the proteins. The biological role of the proteins: the enzymes, role of the cofactors and the essential inorganic elements and the chromoproteins. Practical uses of enzymes's inhibitors. Nitrogen cycle and the aminoacids synthesis. Aminoacids precursors of other biomolecules of practical issue. RNA metabolism and the synthesis of the proteins: transcription, translation and their control. DNA metabolism: the replication. Overview on the energy metabolism: respiration and photosynthetic events of the photosynthesis (cycle of Krebs, oxidative phosphorylation, photophosporylation). Energy metabolism of bacteria. Oxygen metabolism and the antioxidative substances. The carbohydrates: degradation under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. The synthesis of the carbohydrates by photosynthetic organisms. Structural lipids, the membranes and their role, lipid superoxidation. Lipids metabolism: biosynthesis and degradation of fatty acids.
Biochemistry, Photosynthesis, Respiration, Proteins, Enzymes, Cofactors and inhibitors, Chromoproteins, Biomolecules, Metabolism. Bioenergetic, Lipids superoxidation, Lipids, Carbohydrates, Fermatations.
Additional bibliography for study
1. W. H. Elliott and D. C. Elliott (2005) "Biochemistry and Molecular Biology", 3rd edition, Oxford University Press
2. D. Voet, J. G. Voet, Ch. W. Pratt (2008) "Principles of Biochemistry" (2008), J. Wiley & Sons, Inc
3. J. M. Chesworth, T. Stuchbury, J. R. Scaife (1998) "An Indroduction to Agricultural Biochemistry", Chapman & Hall.
4.Hans-Walter HELDT (2005) "Plant Biochemistry", 3rd ed., Elsevier Inc.
5. D. L. Nelson, M. M. Cox (2012) "Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry", 6th ed., Worth Publishers