1. Thorough understanding of antenna concept and parameters.
2. Ability to perform basic antenna and radiolink calculations based on antenna parameters.
3. Ability to analyze and design antenna arrays, including the calculation of parameters and radiation patterns by writing down equations and appropriate computer programs (e.g. Matlab).
4. Understanding of the operating principles of various antenna types, such as standing- and traveling wave antennas, loop and helical antennas, aperture and reflector antennas etc.
5. Understanding of basic principles of electromagnetic wave propagation in terrestrial and space communications.
6. Ability to analyze and design practical radio links.
Course Content (Syllabus)
- Linear antennas: linear dipole antenna, half wavelength dipole, directivity and gain, input and radiation impedance, traveling wave antennas.
- Loop Antennas: small loop, loop antenna, helical antenna.
- Arrays: linear arrays, directivity, gain, half power beamwidth, radiation pattern design, two-dimensional arrays.
- Surface and reflector antennas: radiation from apertures, parabolic reflector antennas, horn antennas, special configurations of parabolic reflectors.
- Antenna Input Impedance: input impedance of linear dipole antennas, mutual impedance of linear dipole antennas in various configurations.
- Receive antennas: reciprocity theorem, transmit-receive reciprocity, effective area of a receiving antenna, efficiency and aperture efficiency.
- Propagation of E/M waves in free space: Friis transmission equation and link power budget.
- Propagation of E/M waves in terrestrial space: space and surface waves, influence of the earth's surface to the propagation of E/M waves, reflection, earth's curvature, diffraction, propagation beyond the horizon.
- Propagation of E/M waves in troposphere: atmospheric conditions, multiple obstacles, tropospheric waveguides, propagation models.
- Special topics: ionospheric propagation, propagation in urban environment, vegetation effects, interference theory, indoor wave propagation, design of radio links.
Radiation, antennas, dipoles, arrays, reflector antennas, impedance, reciprocity