After the successful completion of the course the students should be able to:
1) design, in their basic form, the stator and rotor of a synchronous machine so that the created magnetic fields produce the proper electromagnetic torque.
2) Calculate the various electrical parameters and the operating limits of a synchronous machine under steady-state conditions
3) Calculate the behavior of a synchronous machine under symmetrical and non-symmetrical short-circuit conditions at its terminals.
4) Determine the appropriate control on the machine excitation so as to change the reactive power, the magnitude of the voltage and the power factor at the machine terminals.
5) Differentiate the aforementioned methodologies according to the rotor type (cylindrical or salient-pole).
Course Content (Syllabus)
Construction elements of SM (construction of rotor, stator, excitation system, cooling system, rotor poles, damper windings). Analysis of elementary SM with emphasis on the magnetic fields within it. How a rotating magnetic field is created. Electromagnetic torque through the interaction of stator and rotor fields. Stator windings that create sinousoidal voltages. Equivalent electric model of SM. Differences between salient and cylindrical rotor machines. Magnetic saturation. Power losses during steady-state operation. Dependence of losses on the machine loading. Synchronization with the grid. Parallel operation of SM feeding an isolated load. Operation principles when connected to an infinite bus. Behaviour of the SM during balanced and unbalanced short circuits. Equivalent electric models during short circuits.
Synchronous electrical machines, filed excitation, synchronization, interaction of magnetic fields, symmetrical and non-symmetrical short-circuits.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1) Χ. Δημουλιάς, "Ηλεκτρικές Μηχανές", ISBN: 978-960-418-431-6,
ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ Α. ΤΖΙΟΛΑ & ΥΙΟΙ Α.Ε., κωδικός στον ΕΥΔΟΞΟ: 32997559
2)Ι. Ξυπτεράς, "Ηλεκτρικές Μηχανές, Τόμος ΙΙ, Σύγχρονες Μηχανές",
ISBN: 960-431-308-8, ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ ΠΕΛΑΓΙΑ ΖΗΤΗ & ΣΙΑ ΟΕ, κωδικός στον ΕΥΔΟΞΟ:11049