By attending succesfully this course, the student will be able
1. to conduct field work in order to find, record and film authentic music renditions, in different regions of Greece,
2. to transcribe folk music songs and instrumental pieces into Western European or Byzantine notation,
3. to write down correctly the text of the song, both in its integral form with the repeated and the additional syllables and words (tsakismata), and with the simple-pure verse,
4. to define and to analyze the musical and poetical structure of each piece of folk music,
5. to perform in an "authentic" way the songs they have studied in their work,
6. to finalize the process of scientific ethnomusicological edition, in book form or as digital media.
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course aims at to approach and gain knowledge about Greek folk music, through the triptych of the ethnomusicological research, which comprises:
a. field work, i.e. the collection of authentic traditional folk music, the classification of the songs and the archiving of the collected material,
b. transcription into Western staff notation or Byzantine neumes,
c. study and analysis of the musical and poetical structure of chosen pieces.
Furthermore, research is conducted concerning the musical characteristics of Greek folk music (e.g. modes, rhythms, dances, melodic phrases, textual repetitions and additions to the pure-simple verse, improvisation, music instruments and timbres, performance techniques, study of ornaments), as well as envisaging the musical and poetical structure, i.e. the relation between text and music in Greek folk music. Another issue of the course refers to the different dialects and musical characteristics of various geographical zones of Greece (primitive polyphony in the Epirus region, poetical improvisation in Greek Islands a.o.).
Field work, archiving, transcription, musical and poetical analysis of Greek folksong, instruments, improvisation, performance
Additional bibliography for study
Σημειώσεις του διδάσκοντος.
I. Καϊμάκης, Στ. Κοκκάλας, Σ. Τσιάνης, Αι. Πολυμέρου-Καμηλάκη, Δημοτικά τραγούδια από το Βαλτέτσι της Αρκαδίας, Κέντρον Ερεύνης της Ελληνικής Λαογραφίας της Ακαδημίας Αθηνών, 2 vols., and set with 12 CDs and 1 DVD (Αthens, 2010).
Samuel Baud-Bovy, Δοκίμιο για το ελληνικό δημοτικό τραγούδι, Πελοποννησιακό Λαογραφικό Ίδρυμα, Ναύπλιο 1984.
Φοίβος Ανωγειανάκης, Ἑλληνικὰ λαϊκὰ μουσικὰ ὄργανα, β΄ έκδ., Αθήνα: Μέλισσα, 1991.