Students with successful completion of the course are expected to
- know the general principles and measures for environmental protection.
- to know the principles of aquatic chemistry and their applications in the treatment of drinking water and waste water
- understand the technologies for the treatment of liquid and solid waste.
- know the basic elements of the design, manufacture and operation of waste water treatment systems.
- know the basic techniques for drinking water treatment
- know the hierarchy of solid waste management
- understand the recycling-re-use technologies of solid ingredients
Course Content (Syllabus)
There is an initial introduction and then extensive reference to Waste Liquids and their pre-treatment. Then various processes such as flocculation, flotation, precipitation, filtration are analyzed. Flow models are analyzed and biological purification is analyzed with specific examples from many areas of Greece and abroad. The treatment of solid waste is then studied. Extensive reference is made to the various categories of solid waste, eg municipal, industrial, etc. Their main treatment technologies are analyzed, such as combustion, composting, landfill, and other techniques that are not yet widely used. such as vitrification, stabilization etc. There is a detailed description of recycling with examples and reference to the various types of municipal solid waste collection so that they can be better utilized. Drinking water treatment is the third part of this lesson. It mainly refers to processes such as oxidation, ozonation, chlorination and the use of ultraviolet radiation. Detailed reference is made to membrane processes such as microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration and reverse osmosis and also to groundwater treatment to remove iron, manganese and toxic metals. Specific examples of drinking water treatment are given, such as the case of Thessaloniki and Zurich.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. ΠΕΡΙΒΑΛΛΟΝΤΙΚΗ ΜΗΧΑΝΙΚΗ, A. Κούγκολος, Εκδόσεις Τζιόλα, 2016, Θεσσαλονίκη, κωδ. Ευδοξος: 77106822
, ISBN: 978-960-418-562-7
. ΕΙΣΑΓΩΓΗ ΣΤΗΝ ΠΕΡΙΒΑΛΛΟΝΤΙΚΗ ΜΗΧΑΝΙΚΗ ΚΑΙ ΕΠΙΣΤΗΜΗ, Gilbert M. Masters and Wendell P. Ela, Επιστημονική επιμέλεια
ελληνικής έκδοσης: Χριστόδουλος Πηλίνης και Αθανάσιος Στασινάκης, Εκδ. Κλειδάριθμος, 2018, Αθήνα, Κωδ. ΕΥΔΟΞΟΣ: 77108690, ISBN: 978-960-461-852-1
Additional bibliography for study
Tschobanoglous G., Keith F., 2010. Εγχειρίδιο διαχείρισης στερεών αποβλήτων (μεταφρ. Α. Κούνγκολος, Α. Καραγιαννίδης, Π. Σαμαράς), 2η έκδ., Τζιόλας, Θεσσαλονίκη.
LaGrega M., Buckingham P.L., Evans J.C., 2010. Hazardous Waste Management, 2nd Ed., Waveland Pr Inc.