1) To understand the signification and the function of ecosystems
2) To get familiar with the methodology of environmental risk assessment
3) To learn the significance and the goal of water resources management
4) To raise awareness on environmental protection
5) To learn the methodology of environmental impact assessment
Course Content (Syllabus)
Types and structure of ecosystems. Aquatic ecosystems. Aquatic life. Biogeochemical cycles of elements. Eutrophication. Eutrophication control strategies and models. Anthropogenic effects on ecosystem processes. Principles of ecotoxicology. Methods for measuring toxicity in the environment. Luminescent bacteria toxicity bioassays. Sediment quality criteria. Risk assessment methods. Principles for sustainable management. Systems for ecosystem management. International and European policies and practices for Sustainable Ecosystem Management. Case studies in sustainability ecosystem management and strategy. Environmental impact assessment.
Aquatic ecosystems, Environmental risk assessment, water resources management, protected areas, enviromental impact assessment