Upon successful completion of seminar courses students will have acquired the required skills and abilities for:
- comprehension and critical reading of extended extracts of "Panoria", "Erofili", "Katsourbos".
- metrical and rhetorical analysis of the texts
- comprehension and critical reading of literary criticism and scholarly writing
- composing an essay in a systematic manner and careful study of relevant academic material (bibliography).
Course Content (Syllabus)
The object of this course is the in-depth examination of three masterpieces of Early Modern Greek literature ("Panoria","Erofili", "Katsourbos").The Cretan poet Georgios Chortatsis is the author of the three poems. After a general introduction to Cretan Literature of the Venetian period, the course will focus on questions of literary genre, poetics, rhetoric and metrics, models and intertextual relations.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1: Γεωργίου Χορτάτση, Πανώρια, κριτική έκδοση Εμ. Κριαράς, εκδόσεις Ζήτρος
2) D. Holton (επιμ.), Λογοτεχνία και κοινωνία στην Κρήτη της Αναγέννησης, Πανεπιστημιακές Εκδόσεις Κρήτης