Upon successful completion of the course instruction, students will be able to:
1. Offer insight regarding ceaseless prayer of the Orthodox liturgical tradition.
2. Compare the practice of common prayer with that of private noetic prayer.
3. Analyze the historical elements in relation to the diachronic lived experience of practitioners of ceaseless noetic prayer.
4. Distinguishthe fundamental and foundational differences between noetic prayer of the Orthodox tradition with apparently similar practices of eastern religions.
5. To verify the continuity that exists with respect to noetic prayer.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Continued mental prayer of the Orthodox tradition is examined not only as one neptic virtue but part of any worship. An investigation is made of the 'principles and Biblical Foundations . Identifies the fetal forms of continuity, the ways of hermits or monasteries of sleepless . Record the conditions , obstacles, evolutionary stages and spiritual fruitfulness of the Jesus Prayer . Highlights the relationship of mental prayer with the common worship and Eucharistic life.
SCHEDULE OF SUPPLIES :
1. Institution and charism in the Orthodox tradition.
2. Biblical foundations on unceasing prayer .
3 . The Sleepless glorification of God.
4. The sanctification through the sacraments and prayer neptic work.
5. Dimoteleis congregations and mental prayer .
6. The people of God and the Jesus Prayer .
7. The Jesus Prayer as a true perpetual worship God.
8. Anonymous Hesychast Athonite and Elder Joseph laborers noetic prayer .
9. On the method of mental prayer in general.
10. The conditions of noetic prayer .
11. The obstacles to achieving mental prayer .
12. The fruits of mental prayer .
13. Report hermeneutics in source texts.