Upon successfully completing this course, the students will have gained a familiarity
with periegetic ecclesiastical literature with a focus on the type of ecclesiastical and
more general Christian literature of the Proskynetaria (i.e. Pilgrimage guides like
those of the Holy Land and of Mount Athos) of the Post-Byzantine Period, which
constitute reliable historical and theological sources which highlight significant
spiritual institutions, priests, monastic communities and pilgrimages, figures and events.
They will be exposed to a wide range of Proskynetaria from the Post-Byzantine period.
They will understand the motivations of the pilgrims which will be compared with the motivations of the pilgrims during the Byzantine period.
Τhey will get acquainted with the methodology of the composition of a Proskynetarion and catalogue these differences.
They will form an idea of the Christian world of the Post-Byzantine years through a critical examination of the texts of the Proskynetaria.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The aim of the course is to present and to analyse the published in literary, historical, and theological ways the pilgrimage literature of the Holy Land and of Mount Athos as a precious
source of information for ecclesiastical literature.
1. Pilgrims, Pilgrimage texts, and Pilgrimage Collections.
2. Pilgrimage philology as a literary genre. The emphasis of the secretarial genre of the Pilgrimage Book.
3. Mount Athos in the texts related to pilgrimage. Pilgrimage Books of Mount Athos.
4. Published Pilgrimage Books.
5. Bibliographies of Pilgrimage texts.
6. Thematic approach of Pilgrimage Books.
7. The Holy Land in pilgrimage texts. Pilgrimage Books in the Holy Land.
8. Holy Pilgrimage to the Holy Land in the Post-Byzantine era.
9. Printed Pilgrimage Books of the Holy Land.
10. Thematic approach to the Pilgrimage Books.
11. The East through the mouth of the West. European pilgrims to Mount Athos and the Holy Land.
12. Presentation of papers.
13. Presentation of papers.
Pilgrimage, Post-Byzantine era, Pilgrimage Collections, Athanasios Athonitis
Additional bibliography for study
Γ. Μπάρσκι, Τά ταξίδια του στό Ἅγιον Ὄρος 1725-1726, 1744-1745, μέ τήν φροντίδα καίτά σχόλια τοῦ ἀκαδημαϊκοῦ Παύλου Μυλωνᾶ, ἐκδ. Ἁγιορειτική Ἑστία - Μουσεῖο Μπενάκη, Θεσσαλονίκη 2009.