Course Information
FacultyPhysical Education and Sport Science
SchoolPhysical Education and Sports Sciences (Thessaloniki)
Cycle / Level1st / Undergraduate
Teaching PeriodWinter
CoordinatorNikolaos Stergiou
Course ID400000527

Programme of Study: UPS of School of Physical Education and Sports Science (2014-2015)

Registered students: 468
OrientationAttendance TypeSemesterYearECTS
CoreTheoretical Compulsory Courses326

Class Information
Academic Year2019 – 2020
Class PeriodWinter
Faculty Instructors
Instructors from Other Categories
Weekly Hours4
Class ID
Course Type 2016-2020
  • Background
Course Type 2011-2015
General Foundation
Mode of Delivery
  • Face to face
Digital Course Content
The course is also offered to exchange programme students.
Language of Instruction
  • Greek (Instruction, Examination)
  • English (Instruction, Examination)
Required Courses
General Prerequisites
Since the subject of the course concerns the kinetic mechanism of human body, it is necessary that student knows basic and functional human anatomy, and have basic knowledge of physiology, in order to understand the energy producing mechanisms and the mechanisms applying forces
Learning Outcomes
Students learn how to understand the motion of the human body, under the perspective of cause - effect. They can separate phases of movement and do elementary movement analysis. The can measure the dimensions of the body. The can assess the semantics of mechanical parameters of motion. Finally, they acquire necessary knowledge το be able to work in motion analysis projects
General Competences
  • Apply knowledge in practice
  • Retrieve, analyse and synthesise data and information, with the use of necessary technologies
  • Adapt to new situations
  • Make decisions
  • Work autonomously
  • Work in teams
  • Work in an international context
  • Work in an interdisciplinary team
  • Generate new research ideas
  • Be critical and self-critical
  • Advance free, creative and causative thinking
Course Content (Syllabus)
Aim and description: This is an introductory course to the science of biomechanics of human movement. The motion of the human body is examined under the perspective of the application of Laws of Physics. It is a four hour per week course (lecture) plus one hour of laboratory work. The final exam at the end of the semester counts for 80% of the final mark, while the rest 20% is earned from the laboratory work. Lab work consist of assignments in: a) anthropometry, b) goniometry, c) kinematic analysis, d) dynamometry of jumping and walking and e) balance assessment. It takes place in the Biomechanics Laboratory in groups of at most 18 students, scheduled in different days and times according to predefined choice of students Contents: Α historical review Geometry of space and motion Mechanical principles of motion - Kinematics Mechanical principles of motion - Dynamics The human body in motion - Anthropometry The human body in motion – Bones and Joins The human body in motion – Muscular mechanics External factors affecting movement – Gravity and friction External factors affecting movement – motion in air and in water Analysis and synthesis of motion - Deterministic model Research methods: Kinematic analysis – Goniometry Research methods: Dynamometry – Electromyography – Balance Human body movements: Gait, running, jumping, throwing, swimming,
Biomechanics, kinesiology, mechanics of movement
Educational Material Types
  • Notes
  • Slide presentations
  • Multimedia
  • Book
  • CD
Use of Information and Communication Technologies
Use of ICT
  • Use of ICT in Course Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Laboratory Teaching
  • Use of ICT in Communication with Students
Lectures are given in amphitheater with multimedia implementation. Laboratory projects take place within the lab space and simple apparatus (measures, scales skin calipers) are used to measure body dimensions, while for the rest of the projects we use computerized video analysis, electronic gyroscopes, accelerometers, goniometers , dynamometers, electromyography. All electronic apparatuses are controlled ON LINE by computers with commercial software and in house build software.
Course Organization
Laboratory Work251
Reading Assigment401.6
Assessment of Lab measurements180.7
Student Assessment
Student’s evaluation is based on the final exam at the end of the semester (80%). The rest 20% is earned from lab presentation and the returned leaflet with lab work that student receives at the beginning and returns it completed at the end of the semester.
Student Assessment methods
  • Written Exam with Short Answer Questions (Summative)
  • Written Exam with Problem Solving (Formative)
  • Labortatory Assignment (Formative, Summative)
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
• Κόλλιας, Η. (2010). Βιοκινητική της Αθλητικής Κίνησης. Θεσσαλονίκη: Αφοί Κυριακίδη Εκδόσεις Α.Ε. • Enoka, R. (2019). Η Νευρομηχανική της Ανθρώπινης Κίνησης, 5η έκδοση. Κωνσταντάρας Ιατρικές Εκδόσεις. • Κέλλης, Ε. (2015). Αθλητική Εμβιομηχανική. [ηλεκτρονικό βιβλίο] Αθήνα: Σύνδεσμος Ελληνικών Ακαδημαϊκών Βιβλιοθηκών (Εκδόσεις Κάλλιπος, • Hall, S.J. (2001). Βασική Εμβιομηχανική. Αθήνα: Εκδόσεις Παρισιάνου. • Wirhed, R. (2011). Αθλητική ικανότητα και η ανατομία της κίνησης. Αθήνα: Εκδόσεις Παρισιάνου. • Hamilton, N., & Luttgens, K. (2013). Κινησιολογία. Αθήνα: Εκδόσεις Παρισιάνου.
Additional bibliography for study
Neuromechanical basis of Kinesiology, Roger Enika, Human Kinetics, ISBN: 0-87322-665-8 Biomechanics and motor control of human movement, David Winter, Willey & Sons, ISBN: 0-471-50908-6 Kinematics of human motion, Vladimir Zatsiorsky, Human kinetics, ISBN: 0-88011-676-5 Kinetics of human motion, Vladimir Zatsiorsky, Human kinetics, ISBN: 0-7360-3778-0
Last Update