Students are expected to take the course
• understand the theoretical axes and basic concepts of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), spatial and descriptive data, parts of a GIS, spatial phenomena and methodologies and techniques for modeling and rendering spatial phenomena, spatial relationships, spatial relations , etc.
• link theory to practice through the use of GIS software
• are trained in the software structures of a GIS.
• trained in database creation tools and spatial data analysis.
• are trained in solving spatial problems with the help of software.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction to basic concepts of GIS. GIS Historical development. GIS Basic procedures and components. Data collection. Spatial phenomena, properties, methodologies and technical performance of spatial phenomena. Spatial relationships (topology, Geometric Characteristics of Phenomena, Properties). Forms of spatial phenomena (Vector, Mosaic). Methods of descriptive data. Digital Elevation Models. Three-dimensional terrain model creation. Networks analysis. The use of GIS in relatives sciences with particular reference to the spatial development, spatial and urban planning. GIS organization and selection methods. GIS practical application in Department disciplines.
The examination is initially in the classroom (theory) and then in the laboratories of the Department (lab exercises), after the completion of 13 weeks of instruction. The examination is performed in Theory and laboratory exercises. Specifically, in the laboratories of the Department, students are asked to solve exercises, which are similar to the exercises taught during the semester. The theory exam is 60%, and the examination in the laboratory for 40% of the final grade.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Συστήματα Γεωγραφικών Πληροφοριών-Θεωρητική προσέγγιση και εργαστηριακές ασκήσεις. ISBN: 978-960-9717-16-8. Συγγραφέας: Δημήτριος Ε. Καϊμάρης, Νικόλαος Καρανικόλας.
Εισαγωγή στα συστήματα γεωγραφικών πληροφοριών ArcGIS/ArcView. ISBN: 960-351-721-6. Συγγραφέας: Ζήσου, Αντώνιος Κ., Εκδόσεις: Σταμούλη Α.Ε.