The students are expected to learn:
1. Reinforce respect and acceptance towards individuals with disabilities as well as their individual differences.
2. Acquire positive attitudes towards disability and sports.
3. Acquire knowledge about sports achievements through the different Paralympic sports
4. Develop the ability individualized teaching according to the needs and interests of the child
5. Enhance the ability to encourage the enjoyment of motor activity that motivates participation in elite sport.
6. Aquire knowledge as to how individuals with disabilities can enhance quality of life through recreational activities.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The purpose of this course is to teach students the principles of Adapted Physical Education/Activity, the nature, the behavior, the characteristics and motor skills of children and adults with various disabilities. Emphasis is given to the assessment, lesson planning and teaching basic motor skills in school age children and sports in athletes.
1.Introduction to Adapted Physical Education (Basic Concepts-Active Lifestyle-Philosophical Perceptions-History-Adaptation & Legislation-Disability Models
2. Attitudes and behavior towards disability - integration & socialization
3. Adaptations to exercise for infants, toddlers and children with developmental disorders
4. Physical Education in primary and secondary schools - Curriculum Planning and evaluation - Educational programs (Paralympic School Day), Evaluation- Individual Education Programs
5. Elite sports - Paralympic sports - sports classification
6. Motor skills and standards
7. Posture Appearence and muscle imbalance
8. Physical Fitness and healthy lifestyle
Adapted Physical Education, attitudes, disability, Paralympic sports, Individual differences, disabilities, special educational needs