On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
• Demonstrate knowledge of the basic principles of circular economy and sustainable development.
• Define and explain important concepts in the field of solid waste management, such as waste hierarchy, waste prevention, recirculation, municipal solid waste etc.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the biological processes of solid waste treatment for energy recovery and production of high value-added products.
• Describe, analyze and discuss the connection between waste and consumption on a national and global level.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the procedures for combined solid and liquid waste management.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the procedures for hazardous waste management
• Demonstrate knowledge of the procedures for industrial and medical waste - technologies and management systems.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the legislative framework for solid waste.
• Suggest preventing measures and policies for waste production.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course provides students with a holistic view of integrated waste management based on the principles of circular economy and sustainable development. Provides basic competing tools for work and scientific research for the promotion of circular economy with respect to the protection of public health and the functioning of the ecosystem.
• Introduction to waste management and the circular economy - Basic principles
• Legislative framework for solid waste management (national - community)
• Characteristics of the solid waste stream
• Preventing measures and policies for waste production
• Reduction in source and toxicity
• Collection and Recycling
• Composting of municipal solid waste
• Disposal in landfill
• Incineration of waste with energy recovery
• Gasification and Pyrolysis of waste and scrap
• Biological processes of solid waste treatment for energy recovery and production of high value-added products
• Extraction of municipal waste
• Hazardous Waste Management
• Industrial and Medical Waste - technologies and management systems
• Location of solid waste management facilities
• Combined solid and liquid waste management
• Waste management and public health - a global problem