Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
1. identify and highlight critical issues through short texts of art theory and exemplary works of art.
2. understand the influence of different forms of expression and culture on the status and value of works of art.
3. detect relationships between art, speech and power
4. demonstrate the ability to create theoretical generalizations through the visual data of the time and the cultural context that defines it (zeitgeist)
5. apply basic principles of theoretical development and critical supervision of their personalized visual research
6. critically reflect on the relationship between visual language and social context
7. Critically compare the appropriateness of different approaches in different contexts of research and learning (eg individual, group, formal, informal).
Course Content (Syllabus)
Emphasis on research.
The course is conducted in the form of combined seminars, laboratory exercises, interviews and text writing exercises. It focuses on the students' understanding of the dialectical relationship between mediated "art events" and critical writing. It is at the same time the introduction to the dynamic nature of a two-year program that extends to the second and third year of studies. This is implemented with the collaboration of theorists of the department and is preparatory to the proposal of the three students which is completed in the final stage of their studies. During the in-depth research process carried out during the course, the functional combination of the tradition of the modernist artistic heritage with the modern and diverse perceptions in the field of visual arts and the individual practice of the students of the Laboratory is sought. To this end, students are encouraged through targeted exercises to learn to identify and highlight critical elements and structural relationships in their own production, in texts of art theory, texts of artists and in works of art and culture. The findings of the research are posted on a special platform. The data are collected using semi-structured interviews and processed with qualitative content analysis.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
32998266] "ΤΑΞΗ ΣΤΟ ΧΑΟΣ"Σύγγραμμα, Κυριάκος Κατζουράκης, 2013, Καλειδοσκόπιο, ISBN: 978-960-471-055-3
 "Μεσιτείες του Ορατού"Σύγγραμμα, Πέτρος Μαρτινίδης, 1997, Νεφέλη, ISBN: 960-211-340-5