Students are expected that within this course will
* familiarize themselves with the basic concepts and methods concerning Sociology of Education
* connect issues regarding the sociology of education with the concept of critical pedagogy and the development of critical thinking, especially through pedagogical approaches concerning issues of art and visual culture.
* understand the triadic relationship of social sphere, education and visual culture
* foster visual literacy and the concomitant critical skills of tomorrow's citizens.
* implement their understanding of basic principles concerning the sociology of education, in the organization of their learning objectives and teaching approaches with emphasis on their specific subject.
Course Content (Syllabus)
This course, based on various socio-psychological and pedagogical theoretical approaches, introduces issues concerning the social dimension of Education. Emphasis is given to sociological considerations on the role of education as a means of reproducing cultural values, particularly in relation to art education within this context. A central element of the course is the concept of critical pedagogy and the development of critical thinking.
Emphasis is placed on the triadic relationship of the social sphere with education and the field of visual culture.
-Relationship of visual literacy and critical thinking of tomorrow's citizens.
-Critical pedagogy and art education.
-Teaching approaches to the subject of ‘art as social intervention’.