Students are expected that within the course will
• acquire in-depth knowledge of modern methods of teaching visual arts in primary and secondary education.
• become able to design and carry out their own teaching program adapting to the needs of the specific circumstances.
• become acquainted with the modern theoretical parameters that determine the directions of art education, through deepening their knowledge of the relevant literature and articles, and applying it to the design of their teaching scenarios.
• become acquainted with teaching art in formal education by being physically present in selected schools where they will observe art teachers and moreover, will become able to undertake small-scale teaching interventions.
• design teaching scenarios in a systematic and analytical way, following the dictates of the curricula and will be able to support their choices on the basis of relevant theories and teaching methodologies.
• reflect on the results of their teaching approaches, recognizing the importance of their constant updating on issues of new theories, methods as well as technologies.
• understand basic principles and methods of educational research in the field of art education (qualitative, quantitative as well as new forms of arts-based research).
Course Content (Syllabus)
Teaching modern methods of Arts-teaching techniques and how to adapt various methods in Greek education requirements.
Experiential approach with the teaching of art in the field of formal education through the physical presence of students in selected schools and the undertaking of pre-agreed with the host teachers of didactic interventions in the context of the internship/placement.
Design of teaching scenarios in a systematic and analytical manner, in accordance with the current curricula and support of pertinent choices on the basis of relevant pedagogical theories and teaching methodologies.
Basic principles and methods of Educational Research in the sea of art education (quantitative, qualitative as well as new arts-based methods).
The students are designing a series of art lessons on specific themes or in relation to a certain issue or concept (issue-based art education approach). The assessment criteria are based on their justification of choices with regard to designing their teaching scenario in connection to themes, learning objectives and didactic/teaching approach. Furthermore, another criterion is the successful relation of ther lesson plans to the requirements of the art education curricula, issued by the Ministry of Education.
An additional element of assessment pertains to the production of a reflexive report referring to the experience they gained from their placement in Schools or their involvement in Educational Programmes, approved by the Ministry of Education (IEP), including references to international bibliography.