Upon successful completion of the course, the student will have
• obtained knowledge on the French poetic history and evolution
• become familiar with the basic terminology/jargon of literary analysis
• gained the capacity to distinguish between different currents, tendencies and poetical movements as well as stylistic characteristics and devices
• reinforced their research, critical and analytical skills
• become familiar with pedagogical techniques for approaching critical and literary texts as well as composing and presenting ideas and arguments.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course proposes a panoramic overview of French poetry throughout the centuries, combining a historical with a stylistic/poetical approach: evolution and transformations from the Middle Ages to 20th century avant-garde and contemporary poetry, poetical movements and tendencies, poetic codes, devices and techniques through a choice of representative poems of eminent French poets.
Additional bibliography for study
BRUNEL P.-BELLENGER Y.- COUTY D.- SELLIER Ph.- TRUFFET M., Histoire de la littérature française, 2 tomes, Paris, Bordas, 1984.
DARCOS X.-ROBERT J.-P.-TARTAYRE B., Moyen Âge-XXe , Paris, Hachette, 1987.
FAUCONNIER Denis, À la découverte de la poésie, Paris, Ellipses, 2000.
JARRETY Michel, La poésie française du Moyen Âge au XXe siècle, Paris, PUF « Quadrige », 2007.
JOUBERT Jean-Louis, Genres et formes de la poésie, Paris, A. Colin, 2003.
LAGARDE André- MICHARD Laurent, Moyen Âge – XXe siècle, Paris, Bordas, 1986.